Tuesday, October 4, 2016

"Beepositive" light festival in Vilnius

Last weekend was a bit crazy again. We came all the way to Vilnius to participate in the annual light festival "Beepositive". I created an atmospheric animation installation called "Blind princess searching". Key words are princess and dolphin, but the story behind the art project is far from cute or fun...
The installation was inspired by a story in a book called "Last chance to see" by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine. 
A Chinese legend tells about a princess who drowned herself and a river dolphin became her reincarnation. The Yangtze river dolphin has gone extinct 10 years ago. I wonder where is the princess spirit now...
What kept haunting me was what has the creature's world become. The banji dolphin was birthing it's babies into a creaming, polluted, starving, deadly world until it eventually completely disappeared.
The making of the projection screen took most time I guess. Because I wanted the image to hover above the water. I didn't know how the location exactly looks, so it turned out a bit different then I planned. It was intended to be cut out, to lose the square and have only the shape of the princess. I think it would have the really spooky feeling. A woman floating in the reeds.

It was interesting to later sit in the tall grass and listen to what people had to say about the installation. The funny thing is lots of people saw a moose. Finally I saw it too. It gave me some new ideas.

I thought the frame will stand in 1,5 meter deep water. In the end it was only 50 cm. The screen was made of foam boards to make it sturdy and easy to cut. I guess I could have painted the unwanted areas too.
This video is from the night.

And now other massive and genius installations.
Polish massive and very simply done installation. The most simple things are always the best, aren't they?
Swinging lit wombs...I think...
I really liked this one. There were more installations I really liked, but I have no photos of some of them unfortunately.
Multiple D projection.
An idea for a new lamp? Very pretty.
There were gigantic colored lights projecting onto the trees. Reshaped the landscape completely. Very disorienting and beautiful.
Are we inside or outside?
My friends had a moon installation. Very quiet and still.
The party zone. I liked that area last year much more. With light in the pond and a fog machine.
I really loved how the gigantic ball was leaning against the sharp edged house. It felt as if it could pop any time.
A good idea, isn't it?
The trees were breathing heavily...
A shower curtain with an opera played to make you feel it's you singing.
Disco balls never look bad.

No comments: