Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Scary books

Oh no, I forgot what books I have been reading. So here come the ones I've read recently.

"Stories of your life and others" left a really big impression on me. Wonderful fiction, with most short stories in Sc-Fi genre.
My favorite was "Seventy-two letters"-about a parallel science world to ours, a steampunk biotech, with a good dose of ethical dilemmas. 
By the way, the film "Arrival" was based on the "Story of your life"... 

I have always been fascinated by monsters, disease and apocalypse. 
So somehow a few unpleasant books found their way into my kindle.

And "The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic - and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World" title says a lot. Just to add-it's about cholera.

"The handmaids tale". Another dystopian novel. Set in a near-future New England, in a totalitarian theocracy that has overthrown the United States government, the novel explores themes of women in subjugation and the various means by which they gain individualism and independence. 
There's the new series for your liking!

"The hot zone" is a  nonfiction thriller by Richard Preston about the origins and incidents involving viral hemorrhagic fevers, particularly ebolaviruses and marburgviruses. A really terrifying and fascinating book.

I am still on this gigantic, never ending "Seeing further: The story of science & the Royal Society, edited by Bill Bryson" book. Truly curious stories of how people perceived world and how the science evolved. Many ridiculous things, I promise!

No comments: